Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Woes

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my second brisket yesterday. All I can find so far are flats, so both have been in the 5 pound range. The first one was very tender, juicy, and tasted really really good. Yesterday, I took my time, kept my temps regulated and spent all day trying to recreate he first one..... Turned out very dry. It still tasted good but there was hardly any moisture at all left in the meat. I pulled at about 198. The only difference is that this time I just applied mustard and he rub about an hour before I threw it on the grill. On the first brisket, I also allowed it to sit in a brine overnight before cooking. Is a brine a must for a brisket flat to retain moisture? Or, could it just have been this particular brisket and possibly the fat content? On the bright side, however, I also cooked some kielbasa and fried some onions last night, and that was delicious.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I can symphathize with your plight of only flats-been there for many years-that said, they are quite a challenge to hit the home-run and no two behave the same.  I definitely have as many strike-outs as home-runs and I haven't bothered to calculate my batting average cuz it won't make the hall-of-fame.  I have never brined so can't comment-but my guess is that the second hunk of beef was not interested in playing the game.  Definitely the window for success with a flat is quite narrow, if it exists at all.  When it all goes south, chop it up and use in great Q sammiches.  Now that is some good eats!  Stay the course and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Is there anything in particular to look at to tell if a flat will cook well or not? Is it a thick fat cap, or some marbling in the meat itself? The first one turned out so well that I don't want to give up and never cook it again, but I feel like yesterday was just a wasted day on the grill. When Polish sausage, which takes around 10 to 15 minutes total, turns out better than something that takes all day, it's kind of disheartening.
    Athens, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    look for the best quality you can get. preferably choice or above or CAB (Certified Angus Beef). Whole foods sells very high grade brisket flats and I've had some luck with them. Your best bet is to find a butcher who will order you one. You have to plan ahead that way but it makes a huge difference. As I have said on here before, I would rather cook a select grade packer than a prime flat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    when I say order you one, I mean a packer cut brisket
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    As CT says, choice or better.  With flats, go biggest available.  My minimum is 5.5 lbs.  See if you can find one with a little point still attached, tell sign is even thickness.  See pic with fatty area underside.  

Also, instead of brining, inject with Better than Boullion and water mix.  With injection needles, I prefer only endpoint injection. Ones with holes up the needle, I spray the kitchen.....lol.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks, Cen-Tex! I've followed you on here since I got my egg, and your input is appreciated. My only question in regards to ordering a packer brisket is how small can I generally find one? From what I've read a packer generally is between 12 and 18 pounds, correct? if so, even for football tailgates, that's a whole lot of meat..... Probably much more than I would ever need at one time. Is it possible to cut one in half and freeze the half that you don't use? or, possibly to cut off a portion and use it for burgers? I just don't want to spend a lot of money to waste a lot of meat. And, sorry for the stupid questions. Please keep in mind that I am just a Georgia boy trying to cook Texas barbecue. All I've ever known is pork, but the beef barbecue is really good, when done correctly.
    Athens, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Thanks, Cen-Tex! I've followed you on here since I got my egg, and your input is appreciated. My only question in regards to ordering a packer brisket is how small can I generally find one? From what I've read a packer generally is between 12 and 18 pounds, correct? if so, even for football tailgates, that's a whole lot of meat..... Probably much more than I would ever need at one time. Is it possible to cut one in half and freeze the half that you don't use? or, possibly to cut off a portion and use it for burgers? I just don't want to spend a lot of money to waste a lot of meat. And, sorry for the stupid questions. Please keep in mind that I am just a Georgia boy trying to cook Texas barbecue. All I've ever known is pork, but the beef barbecue is really good, when done correctly.

The ones I get at Whole foods have been unreal and they are around 9lb or so. Perfect size for me and my crew. You can cut part of the flat off and that makes awesome burgers, pastrami, corned beef etc. As far as wasting mone goes, when you are not getting the results you are after with flats, you are wasting more money than having extra brisket around from cooking a packer. get a food saver and freeze meal sized portions for later or give some to friends and family. If you can get packers, you'll be happier more often than only cooking flats
  • TCV21
    Options
    Im fortunate enough to have a butcher who supplies Prime and Kobe. I have done the flats that I picked up my local grocery before with limited success. In my experience.. the better grade, the better results.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I wrestle with CAB flats and still a crap-shoot.  But I will never be deterred because when you hit the home-run it more than makes up for all the rest of the lesser performances.   And I live in the land of Kentucky Jelly-and that would be a whole ' nother story!  Enjoy the journey-and BTW-Cen-Tex knows brisket and watermelon toss and Tito's and a whole lot more :) He knows of what he writes!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I wrestle with CAB flats and still a crap-shoot.  But I will never be deterred because when you hit the home-run it more than makes up for all the rest of the lesser performances.   And I live in the land of Kentucky Jelly-and that would be a whole ' nother story!  Enjoy the journey-and BTW-Cen-Tex knows brisket and watermelon toss and Tito's and a whole lot more :) He knows of what he writes!

Well, when it comes to Tito's and watermelon tossing, I am what I appear to be (A highlly skilled professional). Now with Brisket....I dunno. had a good run lately but I learn stuff on here every week. I would say to OP- listen to all the guys on here and definitely take what I say with a big grain of salt.