Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill extender advice

Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to buy a grill extender for my large. I have seen a bunch on line, but some seem to be junk. I welcome the forum's advice on what brand has worked well for you all. Happy Labor Day.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    If all you are looking for is a second grid then to save $$ I would go with fire bricks or empty (key word) cans and a slightly smaller grid-weber has many. Many use bolts and washers to get the same thing-you can spend the $$ at ceramic grill works or ceramic grill store.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    Thanks Lousucap. Are you cooking today?
  • I'm with lousucap, I just use fire bricks on a lower grill with a second grill placed on top, price was right and it works great and is more than stable
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    ceramicgrillstore.com has great products but you are going to spend more. You definitely can find cheaper methods to extending the grate. I have the pswoo3 (http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html) from ceramicgrillstore.com and I love it. I'm planning on one day getting the adjustable rig. 
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I went went the cheap grid and brick method before upgrading to the ceramicgrillstore product. The cheap method worked well for awhile, but it always lacked adjustability / multiple cooking options. I've since upgraded and couldn't be happier with my purchase from CGS. Hard to beat multiple racks for large cooks, or sliding racks for ease of turning or swapping cooking positions, or grate adjustibility for searing and wok'ing.

Get a bunch of cooks under your belt, then you'll realize what works best for your cooking style. We cook approximately 5 days a week on our XL, and I couldn't imagine going back to my original method.
  • JWBurns said:
    I went went the cheap grid and brick method before upgrading to the ceramicgrillstore product. The cheap method worked well for awhile, but it always lacked adjustability / multiple cooking options. I've since upgraded and couldn't be happier with my purchase from CGS. Hard to beat multiple racks for large cooks, or sliding racks for ease of turning or swapping cooking positions, or grate adjustibility for searing and wok'ing. Get a bunch of cooks under your belt, then you'll realize what works best for your cooking style. We cook approximately 5 days a week on our XL, and I couldn't imagine going back to my original method.
    +1, Great advice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Don't buy the BGE Grate extender. Waste of money. Better options out there.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings