Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow we will having guests over and I am cooking a whole beef tenderloin on the XL.  My plan is to cook it before guests arrive to just short of rare, approx. 110° indirect, and FTC it for a while.  When the time comes we plan to slice off individual portions and sear them to the persons choice of doneness.  I will be rubbing with DP Raising the Steaks for initial cook.  Should I be giving them a sprinkle again before the sear?  Any comments on this cooking plan will be greatly appreciated.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• I guess if you can keep the whole tenderloin from cooking using FTC, go for it. 
    If you plan to slice each steak and cook to individual preference, why not just ask if folks want some more DP on their steak? 
    I'm a bit of tenderloin purest, let it speak for itself. Learned on here somewhere, only minerals, like salt, survive a sear, everything else pretty much burns, OK if you like that. If I was lucky enough to be on your guest list, I'd ask for mine seared the way you slice it, naked. (not you - the Tenderloin)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Rather than doing the precook, you are correct, it might be easier to just cut the steaks and cook/spice to order.  I am baking potatoes and yams, but those can be done before the steak conflagration begins.  Thanks.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa