Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Q Question?

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been using the Party Q for a few months.  Where does everyone clamp the temp probe?  I drop my maverick through the dome, and do the same with the Party Q.  I just like both instruments to be reading the same temp and I've alway been more comfterable operating at dome temperature rather then grid temperature.  Are there any advantages/disadvantages to clamping the probe to the grid?  As always, I appreciate any advice you guys/girls can offer.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I always clamp mine onto the stem of the BGE thermo, since I cook by dome temp, not grid temp.  If I'm running at 225/250, my daisy wheel isn't open enough to feed the cable through it.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    I have used mine only two times.
    One for chicken, split, part deboned, direct at 300 grid and once for lamb, indirect, 350 dome.

The first time I noticed the difference between grid and dome was very small; maybe 20*F, the second time, when the probe was placed "protected" by the PS the difference between grid and dome was 60*F.
    When I moved it to an "unprotected" spot, the difference was once again around 20*F.

I have to say that the two temperatures came close, after one hour of placing the food in the egg.

I think there is a point where you hit an equilibrium in temperature between grid and dome.

I dont use the Party Q for low and slow since I trust my egg taking care of business.I would like to believe that I have mastered the settings for low and slow.

i use it for three to four hours cooking at temperatures between 300-450 especially since I haven't found the time yet to cook and be present monitoring temperature and doing fine adjustments with the DW.

i know there will be some point in the near future when i will have no need for it.
    That's why I did not invest in a more expensive unit. 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I clip it on the grid, where it is not exposed to direct heat.  I want to know the difference between dome and grid.

Why clip it to the dome thermo and get two readings from the dome?
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Duganboy said:
    I clip it on the grid, where it is not exposed to direct heat.  I want to know the difference between dome and grid.

Why clip it to the dome thermo and get two readings from the dome?
    Because I'm using it to control the temp in the Egg as read from the dome, not to simply get a temperature reading. The BGE temp probe is the only place to attach the PartyQ's thermometer at that level, without feeding it through the daisy wheel.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)