Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey BGE, yall on vacation or what?

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Called the last three days, left two messages. Nothing.

My baby is in need of a new gasket!

Am I being too impatient with them? I wouldn't think so, but I'm getting frustrated.

Jason

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I e-mailed them on Monday for the same thing.  They responded on Tuesday, and the new gasket showed up at my house today.  Maybe e-mail is better or quicker for them????  Give it a try

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• JWBurns
    ccpoulin1 said:

I e-mailed them on Monday for the same thing.  They responded on Tuesday, and the new gasket showed up at my house today.  Maybe e-mail is better or quicker for them????  Give it a try

I'll do that, thanks!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm on vacation, and I miss my Egg!

Pains me to pay this much for dinner when I know I can make better.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    When they replaced mine, I emailed them and got a response within a day. I think email is the way to go. Although, when you get it, use something besides 3M Super 77 to adhere it. I just installed a new nomex with Rutland adhesive. Others like to use permatex. I would have used permatex, but I couldn't get to the auto parts store to get it. I was already at my egg dealer and they had the rutland adhesive.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    People don't talk on phones anymore. Email always seems to work best.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm with cortguitarman . Email. Got response same day, sent pics, in a couple days Nomex in the mail.
    I also agree about the 3m.
    Cleaned everything, sanded rim, cleaned with alcohol. I had some bbq sauce dry on the gasket with the dome closed and it peeled off about 18" before i realized what happened.
    Picked up the permatex, and using a popsicle stick, fixed it. So far so good, even on 600 pizza cook.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • JWBurns
    Thanks guys for the tips.

As I understand it, the new gaskets are shipping with the adhesive already applied. So you just clean, peel, and stick.

@YEMTrey I know what you mean. I'll be leaving Monday to take my son to Disney World. I'm gonna miss my egg!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    The new gaskets from BGE don't come with adhesive already applied. There is a company that sells them with peel and stick adhesive, but the one from BGE does not. They recommend Super 77. It works for a while, but eventually will soften and let go. Mine ended up letting go during a pizza cook. The nomex didn't burn to nothing, but it got so stiff and shrunk so much that I couldn't stretch it back to reattach it to the dome. My egg is now on its 3rd gasket in 7 months. Hopefully the new adhesive will hold and I won't have anymore problems for a while. I know that gaskets will always fail after a few years.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JWBurns
    Good to know @cortguitarman

Is the peel and stick gasket any better or worst than the one from BGE? I sure like the simplicity of not having to mess with the adhesive myself
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    The new gaskets from BGE don't come with adhesive already applied. There is a company that sells them with peel and stick adhesive, but the one from BGE does not. They recommend Super 77. It works for a while, but eventually will soften and let go. Mine ended up letting go during a pizza cook. The nomex didn't burn to nothing, but it got so stiff and shrunk so much that I couldn't stretch it back to reattach it to the dome. My egg is now on its 3rd gasket in 7 months. Hopefully the new adhesive will hold and I won't have anymore problems for a while. I know that gaskets will always fail after a few years.
    The one i received yesterday is in fact peel and stick.  Maybe they changed something.  Also, it is marked as a high heat gasket.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have put several Nomex on with the super 77 and never had a problem. My Rutland that I put on with Permatex came off though so I replaced it with Nomex and super 77. I have had one of my Nomex on for several years and its still going good.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I have put several Nomex on with the super 77 and never had a problem. My Rutland that I put on with Permatex came off though so I replaced it with Nomex and super 77. I have had one of my Nomex on for several years and its still going good.
    Can you train mine? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!