Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit probe should go to ...?

Options
DeafNativeTexan
DeafNativeTexan Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have DigiQ DX2, but haven't used it yet.. You guys have either DigiQ or CybeQ or Stroker or other brand of temperature controllers.  My understanding is that both temperatures (grate and dome) are not the same (around +/- 30* F difference).  I am just curious, which one is ideal that pit probe should go? Clipping to grate or dome thermo or put pit probe inside the daisy wheel from outside of egg & leave it hanging freely inside the dome. Hope this makes sense to you..  Anyway. maybe it is individual's personal preference, right?

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Most recipes state the dome temp.
    Clip the probe to the dome thermo stem.
    In other cases clip to grid
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have a DigiQ and I clip it to the grid in a place that it is protected, like over the platesetter.  Just think it makes sense to know the temp where the cooking is going on.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I have a DigiQ and I clip it to the grid in a place that it is protected, like over the platesetter.  Just think it makes sense to know the temp where the cooking is going on.
    Me too. I don't have a controller, but I always use a thermocouple at grid level. The most valuable temperature to know is the one right by the food. Trying to guess the difference and relationship between the two doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I live by my fairly spending digital thermocouple and ignore the dial dome thermo entirely. 
    XL BGE