Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone for an XL BGE

Options
abpgwolf
abpgwolf Posts: 559
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, My XL egg will be delivered on Monday. I have been reading this forum and have gathered a lot of great information - Thank You! I have two quick questions (I'm sure there will be more to come as I start cooking on the egg): What size pizza stone should I get for my egg? Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality, but less expensive stones? Thanks

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

Comments

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    I had a BGE brand XL pizza stone. It was great, but it broke, maybe from thermal shock of pizza sauce dripping off edge of crust onto stone. Had a 3 year warranty and will be replaced. I also have a stone from the ceramicgrillstore.com, it is the 17.5" one. I use it as an alternative for a plate setter with my Woo2. It would also make a good pizza stone and is around $40. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much worthwhile as an alternate to either of these two.
    I tried some thinner stones and they broke from thermal shock within 3 cooks each.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I have an XL egg and bought the Large BGE pizza stone.  BGE stones have a pretty good track record. The Large size stone is plenty big enough for me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i found a high temp pizza stone 13inch diameter (grillware by outset rated at 1450 degrees ) at a kitchen gaget store for for around 22 bucks works great 
    i believe they have larger ones also 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I bought a stone and peel from hammelton beach. $16 for both.

My advise is to but two of the cheapest ones you can find. Will they break? Maybe. Mine haven't. For $16 bucks, you could shoot a round of skeet with them.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.