Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Periodic Hinge Maintenance Required?

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,079
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Large BGE:

Is it recommended to lubricate the hinge pivot points? If so, with what type of lube?

The 8 hinge bolts, do they need to be adjusted over time due to friction wear of the metal? How tight should they be? Mine have the nylon inserts to provide self-locking, making it hard for a guy of my aptitude to judge by feel when "tight-enough", so I haven't touched them yet. Note I am asking about the 8 bolts used for the pivot points, not the 8 that hold hinge to bands.

This egg is about 4 years old, seen roughly 600 cooks. My lid has a slight but noticeable side-side play, started about 6 months ago and seems to be getting worse with time. I can feel it when lowering the lid, when I get to about 1" from the gasket. Have not measured this side-side play, but estimate it to be 1/8".

Appreciate any advice on how to adjust out this play and any maintenance tips to prevent it.

Kind regards,
dbCooper
The Salvation of the State is Watchfulness in the Citizen.
Hartley Burr Alexander

Dave
Lincoln, NE
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'll defer to the eggsperts.  Would like to know the answer myself.  
    Options
    Short answer - YES.

Longer answer - metal fatigues, and metal on metal motion produces friction.  Lubing the spring and/or the pivot points can reduce that friction.  Any lube made for metal should work (ie, 3-n-1, gun oil, etc).  

As far as tightening the 8 hinge bolts - it's a give & take - you should keep them tight enough such that the nuts don't fall off or that it doesn't start putting the hinge at a skewed angle, but not TOO tight such that they don't do their job (which is to allow the connecting metal flanges to pivot, or move, thus allowing your lid to open & close).  

And then obviously, regarding the bolts & nuts securing the bands - it's recommended to check the nuts at least once / year & tighten if needed.  Due to the heating / cooling, the bands may expand & contract, and can also effect the bolts.  

As far as adjusting the fit of the lid to the base, probably the best video tutorial I've ever seen regarding that is this:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg

Which, interestingly enough, I believe the guy is Dutch or something & doesn't even speak English (at least not very well).  But, he is very mechanically-inclined, and I enjoy watching his videos. 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee