Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump with the least amount of "smoke" flavor

Options
Adamd
Adamd Posts: 160
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have been using different kinds of lump now for a while and while I don't mind the taste of that smoky flavor there are a few I commonly cook for that really don't enjoy the taste. I don't even notice the taste anymore. I think I cook too much on the egg haha.

Out of all the lump you guys have used what one usually has the least amount of the smoky flavor? Thanks for the input!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wicked Good Weekend Warrior - almost no smoke flavor,  
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Wicked Good Weekend Warrior - almost no smoke flavor,  
    +1-tried many and this is the most smoke neutral I have found.  This topic ran a couple of weeks ago-the search function may give you additional info.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Wait for the "smoke" to be really clear before putting the food on...and don't use the daisy wheel, control the temp using the bottom vent only.  I make things like pretzels and bread with no smoke taste whatsoever with this technique.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Wait for the "smoke" to be really clear before putting the food on...and don't use the daisy wheel, control the temp using the bottom vent only.  I make things like pretzels and bread with no smoke taste whatsoever with this technique.

I always do that. I never use the daisy wheel and always let the smoke run clear. Problem is that the smoky taste always seems to get into the food. I don't think it's a problem, but for the ones who don't like it I was just trying to find something to really reduce the taste. I don't even think it is a strong taste I consider it like the normal charcoal taste in my opinion but it may be stronger I am not sure because it does not bother me.

I will have to try and find some of the Wicked Good, but have not found much selection in Wisconsin...

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Adam- I just went online at Ace Hardware and ordered Wicked Good, they ship it free to your local Ace.  I paid $21.99 each, got two bags, and less than $2 tax.  My local Ace called 3 days later and said it was in.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Natures Own Hardwood Blend. It will make Weekend Warrior seem smokey. N.O. may be much smaller in size compared to WG, but it burns with barely any ash leftover. I don't even knock the ash loose unless I am adding more lump. My comparison is based on the use of the following lumps in no specific order: Natures Own, Ozark Oak, Royal Oak, BGE lump, Weekend Warrior, Cowboy, Freds Restaurant, and Frontier.

I would use it all the time if it weren't so darn expensive.