Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook Under My Belt

grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have my first cook under my belt. I only have one issue. When I installed the dome I did the "dollar" test to make sure the gasket sealed all the way around. I was good all the way around the egg. After heating it up I noticed that I could see into the egg on one side between the gaskets but the other side was sealed. I would assume that this is just a minor adjustment. Other than that everything went well. I could not believe how easy it was to hold temp on the thing, even with the gap in the gaskets. I used an electric starter and could not believe how easy it was to get the egg going. Good thing I am on vacation because I will be smoking a butt before the week is out. I did also have to heat the egg back up because my wife insisted that we make a peach crisp. That turned out excellent also.  I can see how egging is going to be an addicting habbit.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    we barely grilled before buying the egg.. now its all we seem to look forward to.  love it :)
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Congrats on the egg. Weird that the dome shifted. Did u tourqe the dome? I believe the bands spec is 120 in lbs. The band bolts should bend slightly. Adjust the dome before your next cook as it will cause premature gasket failure with an air gap in there.
  • I may have eggdam. I do not have a torque wrench but I emailed BGE and they said just make sure that you have your bands should be about 1/2" apart when tighten properly so that is what I tried to do. I was just really nervous every time I opened the egg fearing my dome would fall off an break. Just a minor set back I will get it fixed and keep on grilling. 
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Gunstock
    Gunstock Posts: 16
    Good luck with your egging! While I love to cook, I am new to Egging and BBQ. It is definitely addictive. I find myself cooking way too much for for my little famly of three, but it is so fun and so good.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Enjoy the journey my friend. The wife and I have Egged nearly every day since we got ours. It's funny, but it's actually brought us closer together.
  • I have a bone in Butt that I want to try using the turbo method. I think I may attempt that on Thursday or Friday. It is only 5 pounds so it should not take to terribly long. I am just kind of unsure at what temperature I should try to smoke the butt at. 
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    350 for turbo will work great!
  • Thanks Eggdam.  Do you know approximately how long per pound at 350?  I just want to have it on early enough so we can eat at a reasonable hour since I will have 3 hungary kids waiting on me along with a angry wife if it is not done when I tell her it will be. I was going to use indirect with Hickory chips, Bad Byrons Butt Rub and possibly inject it with some apple juice.  I am open to other  suggestions however. 
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @grillingunner you can hold it for 3-4 hour by FTC, so just make sure you err on the side of getting it done early.

FTC means wrap the butt in HD aluminum foil, then a couple of towels and place in a cooler. You probably know that, but I hate when people use acronymns and I don't know what they mean.

• WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    @grillingunner you can hold it for 3-4 hour by FTC, so just make sure you err on the side of getting it done early.

FTC means wrap the butt in HD aluminum foil, then a couple of towels and place in a cooler. You probably know that, but I hate when people use acronymns and I don't know what they mean.

I just asked what FTC meant on another thread... thanks for the info