Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini owners saving charcoal question

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just did a shop vac clean out and disposed of some leftover coals and the other thread had me thinking about how long my mini does stay hot when trying to extinguish coals. Usually when its all said and done I notice on pizza cooks after being +600 for close to an hour, the leftovers are just some nuggets that fill holes after a full new box. On other quicker cooks I can be left with some chunks.
I am using green egg charcoal and will switch to something with bigger chunks than what i see in this large bag i still have left. Since the mini does take so little is it worth the effort to salvage some of those little bits you may get left? Do you sometimes just let it burn out if you dont think much coal will be left rather than seal it and have it cool down for 2 hours? I move mine around for storage so i am aware of the cooldown times. I wonder how much burn you get from some of the residual coals.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If the small bits are small enough to fall through the holes in the charcoal grate I toss them. I generally just seal it off & wait for it to cool down before moving it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Most everyone hates cowboy char pal but if you want big, I found their bags to have several mega chunks. Check out this log in last weekends bag.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos