Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The 'Give Away' Dynamic - And, 'The BGE Reaction'!!!

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
We've had the BGE for six months now and of course we love it as do most of you. 

It's really interesting to note here that we've gotten in the habit now, on weekends especially, of throwing on an extra something to give away to a friend, neighbor, or family member just to get 'the reaction'. And it's just 'extra' of whatever 'regular fare' we are cookin' up that day. 

Without fail we get back remarks like we did yesterday from next door neighbor, who's been 'smellin' it' on a regular basis, and who we gave a pork shoulder to pull to. "Man that was the best pork ever!! thank you so much (smiley face)". 

Or a rack of ribs a few weeks ago to the guy across the street (who's wife died several months ago now), "Those were the best ribs I've ever had!". Same thing for the guy down the street. 

Same kind of thing when bringing in 'extras' to work. "Wow!". And even when we don't bring something in people say "What'd you cook up on Egg this weekend, Steve?". 

Now I know free food would make most anyone happy, it doesn't have to be much. Butt (pun intended). The BGE has become a tool for friendship and good deeds, call it the 'give away' dynamic.

Does anyone else get the 'BGE reaction'?  

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

I have not done any give aways with the egg yet, but i do alot of baking, and always make extra for the neighbors and my daughters teachers etc.....  As i settle in with the egg, i am sure i will do the same.  Generosity is a way of life for me and my family.  Not only does it make someone else smile, it makes me smile!  There is not much in life more important than being a good neighbor (except being a good husband and father)

Good job Steve!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Options
    I do it all the time,  burgers, ribs and whole chickens.    I get the same reaction.  That was the best I ever had.   I cant take any credit really, its the egg all the way.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    We haven't done give aways, but when i brought pulled pork to a block party, it went first. Everyone was talking about it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Options
    I've gotten pretty used to the "this is the best .......... I've ever eaten" comments.  And, they all know I cooked it on the Egg.  However, I don't know of any converts yet.  All of my friends are cheapo sponges who would prefer that I cook it.   :))
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
      All of my friends are cheapo sponges who would prefer that I cook it.   :))
    A big +1 on that!
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Neighbors and my work teams are the recipients of our "extras".  A brisket here, ABTs there, smoked chicken, ribs and steaks have gotten a lot of "Any time you want to invite us for dinner or try out something new, we would love to be your taste testers!"  So far there are only 3 Big Green Eggs in our 50 home subdivision.  I'm really trying to get one of my neighbors to buy a medium so they can set it up for our community pool parties.  My XLs are too heavy to move off the deck.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I always take extra pulled pork or ribs to my parents house for them.

That of course is on the rare occasion they're not able to make it over for the cook. My father rarely misses the chance for smoked food, tunes and beers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio