Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWOO3

Options
chill243
chill243 Posts: 131
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these.  It says you can use the lower level to sear steaks, after searing how do you transfer the steaks to a higher level, or should you?  It also says you can use a wok with it, but not recommended, anyone know why??

Has anyone buy one of these WOOs?  Since we don't cook for a lot of people on our Big green egg I'm not sure the spider is what we need.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    I want to know as well.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I purchased a spider + PSWoo2 and I am extremely happy. I ordered a 13 inches (small) BGE cast iron grate from my local dealer.

Up until now, I did not have to use two levels when searing steaks. Pre-heat CI grate on the spider @ 550-600 dome for 15-20 minutes the sear steaks 1.5 minutes on side 1; 1.5 minutes on side 2; 30 seconds on side 1; 30 seconds on side 2. Place in a plate and cover loosely with foil 6 minutes. Enjoy!

I guess you would need two levels for mamouth steaks but regular day to day steaks are great that way.

I was initially going to purchase the PSWoo3 but after exchanging a few emails with Tom, I figured the woo2 + spider would give me more flexibility.

I think the reason why it is not rexommended to use a wok with the woo is because of stability and the fact that the spider is better because you can use it legs down....

Options
    I have the W002.  I use the spider to put my CI grid on when I do steaks.  I sear and roast on it.  For steaks under 2", I don't see the need roast at on higher level grate as the direct heat is greatly reduced once you choke down the air for roasting to a small opening.

I bought it with the pizza stone so it functions as my platesetter too.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have the PSwoo3 with an extender.  You need a small grate to put on the lower ring for searing.  I use the two Grill Grates that I use on the regular grate.

After searing just take the steaks out of the egg, put in a pan and cover with foil until you get your egg to the temp you are going to use to finish cooking.

Also try the Reverse Sear method some time.  Cook the steaks to 115-120 on a raised direct grill.  When they reach 115-120 IT, take them off as above, open the vents wide open and when temp is 600 plus, put them on the lower ring.  How long to sear?  Depends on how you like your steak cooked and the thickness of the steak.  I always do the Reverse sear using the Woo3
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    Options
    What is the height difference between a grate on the spider vs. grate ontop of the firebox?
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, but I have to ask an igonorant question. What is a Woo/Woo
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, but I have to ask an igonorant question. What is a Woo/Woo
    A Woo ring is a method of raising your grill up to the felt line with or without using the platesetter - it's handy to be further away from the fire, but still grilling direct, for some kinds of cooks.  There's other ways to raise your grid, the Woo is just a prefabricated/store bought method.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html