Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Burned Through

dtun1
dtun1 Posts: 32
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just had my BGE since April 2, 2012. The gasket burned throught. Mind you, I use the BGE ever yweekend, usually on Friday & Saturday. Purchased a new gasket from local dealer. They told me the gasket should last longer. New gasket instructions clearly state gasket material should not should not be on the inside of the rim. The old gasket was on the inside of the rim all the way around on top & bottom. It came from the dealer that way. I installed the new gasket according to the instructions. I hope that fixes the gasket issue.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I noticed the gasket is on the inside of the rim from the dealer and that part is charred after a few cooks. If I flick at it, some crumbles off but the remaining gasket material looks fine.
    I sure hope it lasts for a while at least, is it done when the whole gasket part is burnt and crumbling off?
    Seattle, WA
  • dtun1
    dtun1 Posts: 32
    I was cooking a quesada at 600 degrees and  notice smoking coming out between the lower & upper half. Gasket was burnt all the way through.  I noticed the gasket was burnt & crumbling on inside of rim & half way accross the rim in many areas.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Let the Egg sit for a day or two. My small experience with contact adhesives has  shown that the drying agents really need to completely evaporate. Put your nose down close to the gasket. If you catch a whiff of a chemical scent, the adhesive has not really dried.

Also test to be sure the dome is well seated. If you put a piece of paper, like a dollar bill, on the gasket, it should be held snugly everywhere around the rim.

The stock gaskets will inevitably burn away. I expect to change mine every year, and am thrilled that the last 2 are holding after 18 months.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I did the dollar bill test on my mini after assembly, it slid most easily around the very front at the handle. I tried to tweak and tweak but decided enough.
    I have noticed no smoke coming from my mini, no issues what should I see if I have a failed dollar bill test?
    Seattle, WA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Read this thread.  It will permanently solve your gasket problems:

Packerland, Wisconsin