Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

100% Natural Charcoal

Options
Drphil9001
Drphil9001 Posts: 29
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know that Lump charcoal is better than briquettes since most briquettes have fillers. But has anyone use the 100% natural charcoal? I got it from a local organic food market...packaging claims to have no fillers, additives or chemicals...

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That would be lump

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Drphil9001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Nope, they are briquettes. Not as uniform as, say Kingsford, but briquettes none the less.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nope, they are briquettes. Not as uniform as, say Kingsford, but briquettes none the less.

Ok. BGE used to do that too. It's just lump dust and sawdust with some type of binder. It's the same thing as kingsford in a fancy bag that is "all natural". I would avoid it next time but I'd burn it if you have it. it won't get as hot or burn as long and it won't relight like lump will.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    Options
    i saw those at Home Depot also and was wondering about it. it was still more than lump though. it said it was 100% natural charcoal 
  • Drphil9001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    That's what I figured....I still have a bag from the Weber days, figured that I would use it up and then never again. :)

Still have enough lump left for the wings that are about to go on...first time with wings on the BGE...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fwiw, other than the ones that have fuel in them, the only "chemicals" are the binder, which is often cornstarch.  you'll hear many dire warning of death and destruction re: 'chemicals', but that's not really true.  unless the whiz has found otherwise.

of course, the match-light stuff IS impregnated with fuel, sure
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    As far as I know, you are right stike.  Of course, Kingsford is loaded with all sorts of things; we don't need to go there, lol.  But Wicked Good Charcoal, for example, makes natural briquettes which are nothing but the charcoal and a starch binder.
    The Naked Whiz