Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey fail right from the start...

Options
Adamd
Adamd Posts: 160
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I own a Small Big Green Egg. I usually just cook for myself or 2-3 at most. Well today I tried to cook a turkey on it. It was a 16 pounder and even before I took it out of the wrapper I put it on the cold egg to see if it fit. It fit ok on the egg, but was way to high and there was no way I could close the dome and if I really tried to close it, it would close but it would completely cover the top vent and the turkey would be rubbing on the dome.

Sometimes I really wish I had a bigger egg. :(

End result was good, but I had to cook it in the oven. It just does not have that flavor we come to expect when we cook stuff on the egg. I had not cooked big meat products in the oven in a long time and I sure miss the flavor not being cooked in the egg. Point being if you have a small egg you can only cook small turkeys.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    That's why most people end up getting a second Egg. I have a large, a medium, a small, and a mini, and it's nice to be able to size the Egg to the cook (though I do a good 80-90% of my cooking on my small, now).
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    I agree with having the right size for the cook, but I just can't afford that nor do I think I could justify having more then one Egg other then the awesome factor!
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Invite the parent's, wife parents,   kids,  grandkids, brothers, sisters, cousins,  wife cousins,   anyone you are related to over for Thanksgiving.   Heck just buy two turkeys and feed the homeless.     You just justified an XL by November.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE