Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Butt, when to pull?

cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a butt for Friday night. I plan on starting it tonight so it will be done around 4 tomorrow. The problem is that I have to travel 2 hours with them before eating. I was planning on wrapping in foil and towels and putting it in a cooler for the trip. Would you guys pull the pork first, or pull when you get there? I want them to be hot without reheating.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• GatoGato Posts: 766
    If your timing works out right when it is done I would put in the cooler for the trip and pull when I got there for sure.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    If your timing works out right when it is done I would put in the cooler for the trip and pull when I got there for sure.
    +1 The pork will stay hot in the cooler for 3 to 4 hours.
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Thanks guys, that is what I thought. Butts are rubbed down, injected, and sitting in the refrigerator. Going on at around 2 A.M. Hopefully they'll be done by 4 P.M. Butts are about 7 lbs each.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,496
    Sounds like a good plan-and remember, you can crank up the temp to punch it home if things drag on beyond your guesstimates.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 168
    +1 The pork will retain it's moisture better this way.
  • All good above. It will stay hot for many hours if you wrap in foil and towels in a cooler. I've had them stay warm for 8+ that way. No worries, pull them when you get there.
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife