Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ist Brisket

RogueIrish
RogueIrish Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi All.  New to the forum. I got my egg back in april and have had success with  Ribs, Chicken and steak. Decided to try a brisket yesterday. After reading many posts and how-tos, I felt good about the outcome.  I found a 6.75 flat with a good fat cap. base of mustard and then "Brisket of Love" rub. Wrapped and chilled overnight. Fired up around 8am with Mali's gourmet lump. Stableized around 240. Added soaked applewood chips. Brisket on. Used ad Maverick 732 during the smoke. Only had to adj dampers a few times. Stayed between 230 and 255 the hole time. Stalled at 160 for 2 hours. I took it off at 187 Internal. Insta read slid in easy at several points. Foil wrapped and placed in cooler for an hour. I just want to say thanks to all the eggheads for posting the tips and tricks. The brisket was tasty and super tender. Not much of a smoke ring but was delish. I think I am ready to try a packer next.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Sounds like you nailed it which is a bit of a challenge every brisket-especially flats.  Weclome and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Great work. Don't worry about the smoke ring. That's all for show for weirdos like us. You nailed it and that is the important part.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bariccardi
    bariccardi Posts: 53
    Looks great, agree with others you nailed it
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Sounds like you nailed it which is a bit of a challenge every brisket-especially flats.  Weclome and enjoy the journey!
    The challenge comment is so true.  I've done probably 20 briskets, one was awful and the rest were  somewhere between good and great.  I did all of them exactly the same way, but the results were very varied.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited May 2012

Sorry for the hijack:

I am going to try a brisket next, what should I get? Packer or flat? What should I look for?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."