Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Sirloin Roast - What to do?

Options
Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I recently bought a 3-4 lb sirloin roast at Sam's.  I am assuming this is a primal cut of top sirloin steaks.  The question is what to do with it?  Cut into steaks? Do whole?

The gf likes prime rib so that style would be good but idk whether to do direct/indirect.  I did look up one thread before I posted this.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1181521/#Comment_1181521

TIA

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Do a low and slow until internal temp reaches about 15 deg less than desired. Pull it off and crank the heat to 700. Toss it back on and sear all sides of it - about 90 seconds or so on each side. Pull it back off, wrap it, and let it rest 10-15 min. Enjoy! They are the best in my opinion.

That method is a reverse sear. You could start it out by searing, pulling it off, and waiting for the heat to drop to cook it - but I find the reverse sear quicker and tastes just as good. Takes a long time for an Egg temp to drop once she gets hot enough for a sear.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TW is right. Should be really good. Prime rib with less fat (and a little less flavor So season up)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options

Well, it turned out good.  I did 275 until 120 mostly then seared between 550 and 700.  I didn't see these posts until now for some reason.  Great beef flavor, went well with Bogle Phantom.  Will try for better crust next time.

Next time, I will use more fresh cracked black pepper, maybe an herb, and do 250 until 115 then sear at 800 all sides.  The gf liked it alot so that is what counts.