Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal ash filter box basket

Options
mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I used as many words as I could to describe this thread because there are so many ways to address this issue.

The issue is filtering lump after a burn. I'm not as meticulous, and frankly, sometimes up here it rains too much and I don't feel like getting soaked...so sometimes I don't get a great lump cleaning/clean out.

So...my quest has led me to the following. And if there are any really good welders out there (cough...ceramic Grill store...cough) maybe you could fashion more of a flared box than these.

imageimage

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004XU1FES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336365728&sr=8-1

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/stainless-steel-round-wire-basket-8/124WISS8.html

I'm guessing one and three, which sit on top of the fire grate, are either coated (might give off fumes) or not strong enough to handle the heat. By the way, one #1, I'd use wire cutters to make the holes bigger...around 1.5" square. Also, #1 isn't flared...it's just a basket, so there will be plenty of lump that accumulates on the sides.

The idea is to just grab the sides and shake out the bad stuff. Or with #2, to have bigger holes so more falls though. I know...I know...why waste lump...but I just get tired of having a firebox half full of 1/2" pieces that plug up the air holes.

thoughts?

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Since you hinted at ceramic grill store, here is what I've been using since 2006ish.  

Lump basket is easy to use: lift out, shake, put back.  I use a plastic, single gang, electrical conduit box to scoop the ash out of the base's bottom.  Couple scoops and done.  Total project time is maybe one minute.  

I go back and forth on fabricating the lump basket.  I started two trash can fires when I first used it.  After all these years, it still sits in the large egg collecting dust......ash dust that is......

I made one for the xl too but found it kinda a hassle because of its size........

I'll give it some more thought on fabricating them.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.