Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjusting the lid after installing a rutland?

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I just installed a rutland yesterday, removing both top and bottom original gaskets.  I went to do the "dollar test" and it's super snug everywhere except right in front by the handle.  Maybe 2"-3" on each side of the handle (large BGE).  Everywhere else I can't pull the dollar out, but in this spot only, it slides easily out.  I tried loosening the bottom band and pushing it down further onto the Egg, which helped some and got me where I am now.  However I know it's not going to be air tight unless I get the front sealed better.  Also, if I have a leak I'd prefer it not be right at the handle since I have to grab it.

Anyone here good at adjusting these?  I didn't put mine together, so this is the first I've messed with the band/hinge assembly.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Frank

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I assembled my own Egg, but have not had to adjust anything yet. Having said that, if it were me I would close the dome, loosen the UPPER band until you can easily slide it up or down. Gently press down on the dome to make a good, tight seal all the way around. Adjust upper band so it is even around the circumference of the dome and tighten. You will want to install the plastic things that lock the spring load hinge mechanism before loosening that upper band though. Perhaps insert some dollar bills in different places around the seal before starting this so you can test your seal before tightening the band back up.