Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHat is wrong with my calibration

Options
saildawg
saildawg Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,

I decided to re-calibrate my original bge thermometer.  I placed it in boiling water and fine tuned it to 212 F, and confirmed with my thermapen.  However when it cools down it reads less than 50 F close to 0 F, however it is like 80 degrees outside.  Is my thermometer broken?  I have been doing allot of high heat applications like woking on the spider.  In the future should I take out the thermometer if going to super high heat?
Thanks for any help

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Not sure about that thermometer. I have taken that clip off mine. If temp gets up too high its easily removed. It doesn't fall out without it. Learned this tip here. Some people rotate the thermo with the desired temp at 12 o clock which gives a quick visual from a distance.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Sounds like supreme advice!

XLBGE 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I found out the hard way that the spring needs to be removed to do the 12 o'clock trick. It took me a few cooks and calibrations to realize what my mistake was.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    The thermometers are only accurate within a certain temp range.  I recon you're just below that temp.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mine always read 0 when cold until recently. It stays at 100 degrees even though it is not that hot outside now. I calibrated it and it is accurate on my cooks so I roll with it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Doesn't matter what it says at low temps as long as it's set to 212.  None are accurate below 100 degrees.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Strange, I didn't have to remove my clip to do the 12 o'clock trick.
    Now I'm gonna have to check calibration.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Strange, I didn't have to remove my clip to do the 12 o'clock trick.
    Now I'm gonna have to check calibration.
    taz your probably ok if you aren't noticing any changes in your results, but calibrations are always good.
    My spring was tight against the dome, so my dial was moving while the dome was sandwiched between the dial and adjustment nut. I was having trouble with estimated cook times (I cook to temp but don't like to open my dome unless necessary). I didn't realize where my fault was until I used my Maverick and saw the difference in temps. At my birthday gathering I ruined four sitting chickens because my thermometer was 40 degrees off, since then I check my calibrations before cooking for guests or more expensive cuts of meats.