Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric Starters

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
A lot of talk about heat guns lately.  If we take the cost out of the equation, does the Looftlight have any advantages over the industrial heat gun?  Normally plain old Rutland tabs work fine for me, but every once in awhile I would really like to get a quick start (frequently under circumstances where multiple hot spots would help).

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Lex
    Lex Posts: 6
    I use a $15 paint stripper/heat gun, it works great, getting the fire burning in just over a minute. Locally the looftlight costs $90...... 
  • Im with Lex on this one, no need shelling out that kind of dough, the cheaper option is sometimes better.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Im going to try the rubbing alcohol method when I run out of rutland starters. I may try the heat gun too. I want to find a non messy way of lighting because my wife doesn't want to get her hands dirty.

Funny story about the heat gun. My wife is an artist and asked for a heat gun for Christmas. Me, hating to buy junk tools, and thinking that she would need a heavy duty gun, bought her a Snap-On heat gun. Gave it to her at Christmas and asked what she was going to do with it. She said she wanted it to make Shri nky Dinks with our niece and nephew. She said a hair dryer works, but takes too long. Yep, she got a $100 hair dryer!

Mark Annville, PA