Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo ribs

Options
Bjorg
Bjorg Posts: 241
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I didnt have much time so I did my first ribs turbo. Pulled off membrane, Dizzy dust with worchestershire sauce and evo, indirect on raised grill 350F 1h10, 20 more minutes with blue hog. Result: the best ribs I ever had. I am use to fall off the bone boiled ribs, and this is so much better. 
Quebec - Canada

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    That seems fast, even for turbo ribs.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    Boiled ribs????? Hmmm, that's almost criminal!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Tried turbo ribs this weekend too. Mine were just ok. Even after going longer than the recommended time. They were a fairly meaty rack. Tasted great just don't like to work so hard getting the meat. Low and slow for me.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Nice work (got to say work =)) ). I will never go back to L&S on ribs or butts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    One thought. I have started mixing 50/50 Blues Hog and Bone Sucking Sauce.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    How would you have done it Cowdogs? 

I will try and get me some Bone sucking sauce to try Mickey. I am from Montreal though, have to import it. 

Are there any great home made rib BBQ sauce recipe out there?
    Quebec - Canada
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Tried turbo ribs this weekend too. Mine were just ok. Even after going longer than the recommended time. They were a fairly meaty rack. Tasted great just don't like to work so hard getting the meat. Low and slow for me.
    +1 for the low&slow-much less effort, much more beer time and I like the texture much better-or I could just be old&slow:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2012
    Options
    How would you have done it Cowdogs? 

Like a lot of people here, I have discovered that a low and slow 225 dome is not the only way to get great BBQ (for my tastes).  I now pick a temp somewhere between 250 and 325.  I choose the temp unscientifically by what time I start, how much I am cooking, and when I want finish.

Even though my cook temps may vary widely, the one thing that has not changed is how I decide to end the cook.  Even at 325 dome, I will cook ribs until the meat pulls back on the bone, and they pass the “bend test”.  For butts and brisket, I am looking for 195-205 internal temp, and meat that probes with little resistance.

Any temp you choose within reason will work.  I like 300 myself.  But regardless of what you choose, it ain’t until it’s done.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Right on Cowdogs. If I had time to leave them on I'm sure they would have been better. Even with the elevated temp. But at 1:40 minutes. No way for the rack I had. I was well above 1:40 minutes and still needed more time.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Boiled ribs????? Hmmm, that's almost criminal!

No it 'is' criminal ... :))
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I did turbo ribs sunday for lunch. It worked good for me. They weren't the most tender ribs I've made but had a great crust and good flavor. I did 350 dome with a few chunks of apple for 1hr 40min. Removed plate setter tossed a handful of cherry in coals, sauced ribs and gave them a few minutes to get sticky.