Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DMFT mod question?

jay75
jay75 Posts: 153
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I recently replaced my oem gasket with a high temp BGE one and used the left over to line the DMFT with and so far have had a great result i.e no movement when I open the dome, my only concern as of now is how to keep it from gunking up like I keep seeing on this forum, is there a way to clean it without putting it inside the egg when shutting it down to stop build up or should I just scrape it off and return to what I know works, just curious...

Comments

• jay75
    I guess I should add that from my research, the max temp that the BGE high temp gasket can handle is 350 F, so as most of my regular cooks are above that, it takes a while to duck under the recommended ceiling.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    All you need to do is adjust the daisy wheel so that the screws are in a straight line and the top will stay exactly where you set it.

* taken from the Naked Whiz website:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jay75
    I hear you, but since I put my egg in my half finished table (weather is a deciding factor) I have had the DMFT throw it's self off the egg 3 times in 2 days so I thought why not try something different huh...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited April 2012
    I hear you, but since I put my egg in my half finished table (weather is a deciding factor) I have had the DMFT throw it's self off the egg 3 times in 2 days so I thought why not try something different huh...
    If it's working for you, great, why not!
    I actually did the same thing with my ceramic top in hopes of shutting the egg down faster (more air tight) and saving more lump!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jay75
    That's just, it it works a treat, but I am in a quandary as to how to keep my lovely clean DMFT as clean as it currently is?...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    I don't seem to have the problem most do with the DMFT getting filthy and I rarely store it in the egg (I always forget to put it in there).  I don't always use the DMFT though, I like to control the egg with just the bottom vent for at least half my cooks (medium to high temp cooks).
    Packerland, Wisconsin