Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get Temp above 400 Degrees

trw
trw Posts: 1
edited April 2012 in Root

Help .....my egg is  new(1 yr) and I've got alot too learn but my biggest problem now is I'm not able to get my temp above 400deg.

Anyone have a pointers/tips.  

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I will start from obvious, is the ash cleaned out? No holes plugged?
  • Your lump is dry and of good quality?  Make sure your putting enough in (fill to half way up the upper fire ring) and have the bottom draft door and the daisy wheel open all the way.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Fuel, heat, air. One is restricted. Most probably air.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2012
    Most likely the holes in the fire grate that holds the charcoal. Look through the bottom vent and poke a hanger through the holes to get the ash to fall through. This will allow better airflow therefore increase temp. Once done with this cook I would suggest takes guts out of egg and completely clean it out. Good luck.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • also make sure you are not using all the shake and tiny pieces at the end of the bag If you dump the end of your bag in there, it's like trying to draw air through sand. hard to get hot when restricted like that. 

As said above:

1) clean it out (all the way out- take apart and sweep/vaccum/however you do it)
    2) make sure you have enough lump and it's dry etc
    3)don't use shake/small pieces to build a fire

99% of the time it's airflow. Even wet lump will burn hot (but it will spark and explode when it does) once you get it going.

good luck
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Leave top vent cap off. Adjust from lower vent.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Most likely the holes in the fire grate that holds the charcoal. Look through the bottom vent and poke a hanger through the holes to get the ash to fall through. This will allow better airflow therefore increase temp. 
    99% of the time, this is it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    3 or so cocktails. - put the snout of the leaf blower in the bottom vent - You'll get some heat..... Or so I have heard.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I switched from royal oak to cowboy a few weeks ago (royal oak is hard to get), the cowboy seems to have allot more ash, you really have to keep poking it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I switched from royal oak to cowboy a few weeks ago (royal oak is hard to get), the cowboy seems to have allot more ash, you really have to keep poking it.
    Here we go again.  In my opinion Cowboy is trash.

TRW, what size Egg.  My Large was much more trouble regulating than the XL.  A High-Que grid helped, as did accepting that I cannot burn every little lump of coal.  Tightly packed little pieces screw up the air flow, throw them in the garden or flower beds.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    3 or so cocktails. - put the snout of the leaf blower in the bottom vent - You'll get some heat..... Or so I have heard.

Haha,

I have a stainless shop vac (big one) by the eggs. Clean out ash...stick the hose in the exhaust and into the lower vent for those stubborn fires

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    cowboy isn't trash, in my opinion.  see. our opinions cancel.  all fixed
    :)>-

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • @boatbum
    Say hello to my little friend!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX