Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking for large groups...XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo?

coachbdouble
coachbdouble Posts: 18
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
new to the bge, but loving it so far.  i am trying to get some feedback on increasing my cooking surface and wanted to know what you guys use and like.  anybody use the woo2?  any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks.

Comments

• YukonBill
    YukonBill Posts: 23
    I'm also curious about this. Wondering what the best set up is to do something like 4 brisket points/pork shoulders/spatchcocks on a LBGE...or even if it even is a realistic possibily. Thanks in advance.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I have the large adjustable rig customer combo for my large egg. It'll fit 4-5 large bone in boston butts, 2 14-16lb brisket packers. I've got 6 racks of ribs in there right now. 4 on the lower level in a rib rack and 2 laid flat on the top rack, could have fit 3-4 on the top rack alone. IT's a great setup and really opened up the possibilities of what I can do with the egg.
  • I have the large adjustable rig customer combo for my large egg. It'll fit 4-5 large bone in boston butts, 2 14-16lb brisket packers. I've got 6 racks of ribs in there right now. 4 on the lower level in a rib rack and 2 laid flat on the top rack, could have fit 3-4 on the top rack alone. IT's a great setup and really opened up the possibilities of what I can do with the egg.
    xray- can you send me a link to what you have?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I have the large adjustable rig customer combo for my large egg. It'll fit 4-5 large bone in boston butts, 2 14-16lb brisket packers. I've got 6 racks of ribs in there right now. 4 on the lower level in a rib rack and 2 laid flat on the top rack, could have fit 3-4 on the top rack alone. IT's a great setup and really opened up the possibilities of what I can do with the egg.
    xray- can you send me a link to what you have?
    found it. That's a cool setup. Ordering now. Thanks
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I have the large adjustable rig customer combo for my large egg. It'll fit 4-5 large bone in boston butts, 2 14-16lb brisket packers. I've got 6 racks of ribs in there right now. 4 on the lower level in a rib rack and 2 laid flat on the top rack, could have fit 3-4 on the top rack alone. IT's a great setup and really opened up the possibilities of what I can do with the egg.

Yup....that pretty much sums it up. Pair that with the spider and a couple stones, and you've got one awesome cooking setup.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2012

Woo2 does not increase cooking area.  It provides a way to do raised (above fire ring) direct and indirect cooking,  It also has a built in spider which allows you to sear using a lowered (below the fire ring) gridf. The Woo2 is really simple and flexible, but does not equal more cooking space.
    The adjustable rig on the other hand ... it does provide more indirect cooking space.  I have both.  They work well together.

• Thanks. So I need both? You guys are costing me money today!
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Would you use this set up instead of or in concert with the Plate Setter?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Instead of for me....much more versatile.
  • Quinn- which do you have? Woo or adjustable rig?
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2012

If you already have a plate setter you can skip getting the Woo2.  If you did not have a platesetter, and you wanted max grid space, you would buy both.
    Here is a pic with 24" grid on the Woo2 (or platesetter) with the adjustable rig just sttting on top.

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    I'd still look for a woo if you can afford it I want the option of running a CI grate from a large and then putting a half grid on top of the woo for finishing food off away from the full on heat, personally I'll be ordering the Woo and lump reducing ring first and maybe a raised grid from BGE
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

If you already have a plate setter you can skip getting the Woo2.  If you did not have a platesetter, and you wanted max grid space, you would buy both.
    Here is a pic with 24" grid on the Woo2 (or platesetter) with the adjustable rig just sttting on top.

So you have plate setter, drip pan, then grid, then AR setting on top?  Never thought of that, and it does not seem that it would fit, but obviously it does.  That's why I get on this forum, sombody has pretty much tried any and everything.  I'm going to have to give that one a try.

Thanks,

George

George
  • If you already have a plate setter you can skip getting the Woo2.  If you did not have a platesetter, and you wanted max grid space, you would buy both.

Thanks Cowdog. I have a plate setter. Pretty cool setup. 
  • I'd still look for a woo if you can afford it I want the option of running a CI grate from a large and then putting a half grid on top of the woo for finishing food off away from the full on heat, personally I'll be ordering the Woo and lump reducing ring first and maybe a raised grid from BGE
    I'll probably check out both. I have a sickness for this type of stuff
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Purdy good conversation on the toys.  For those who don't know, I'm the fella behind the Rig and Woo products.  The following is for the XL with the new dome and 3 inch drop from the felt line to the fire ring.

The xl adjustable rig can be used with the xl platesetter and 24 inch grid.  The rig sits on the grid.  This combo is unique to the xl and can't be done with the large rig and platesetter.

The xl woo with our 17.5 inch stone is an alternative to the xl platesetter.  With the xl woo, you also get the spider configuration for searing closer to the lump using bge's medium or large ci grids.  Plus, with the xl woo, you can grill direct near the felt line.  

For one grid cooks, direct or indirect, my favorite set-up is to place the xl rig directly on the fire ring.  Use the 17.5" stone for an indirect set up.  This is a cool set up as it opens up access to the lump.  It also puts the 20" xl rig grid near the center of the dome, sweet spot.  

If you have the xl platesetter and are still looking for a way to drop into the fire ring, then the xl spider is a practical alternative to the xl woo.  

I guess, the biggest thing going is options........you have lots of options to maximize your abilities.  For the xl we offer two basic combos, one that matches with the xl platesetter and one where the xl woo and 17.5 stone take the place of the platesetter.   

Feel free to call me if you want to discuss, numbers on the CGS site.....

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Purdy good conversation on the toys.  For those who don't know, I'm the fella behind the Rig and Woo products.  The following is for the XL with the new dome and 3 inch drop from the felt line to the fire ring.

The xl adjustable rig can be used with the xl platesetter and 24 inch grid.  The rig sits on the grid.  This combo is unique to the xl and can't be done with the large rig and platesetter.

The xl woo with our 17.5 inch stone is an alternative to the xl platesetter.  With the xl woo, you also get the spider configuration for searing closer to the lump using bge's medium or large ci grids.  Plus, with the xl woo, you can grill direct near the felt line.  

For one grid cooks, direct or indirect, my favorite set-up is to place the xl rig directly on the fire ring.  Use the 17.5" stone for an indirect set up.  This is a cool set up as it opens up access to the lump.  It also puts the 20" xl rig grid near the center of the dome, sweet spot.  

If you have the xl platesetter and are still looking for a way to drop into the fire ring, then the xl spider is a practical alternative to the xl woo.  

I guess, the biggest thing going is options........you have lots of options to maximize your abilities.  For the xl we offer two basic combos, one that matches with the xl platesetter and one where the xl woo and 17.5 stone take the place of the platesetter.   

Feel free to call me if you want to discuss, numbers on the CGS site.....

tom
    Thanks Tom. I'll give you a shout next week. I have a large so I'll need the setup for that. Great stuff by the way. Nice work.

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Tom,

That's a bummer to hear this setup doesn't work with the large. I was looking forward to trying it his weekend.

George
    George
  • Mighty_Quinn
    edited April 2012
    Quinn- which do you have? Woo or adjustable rig?

Adjustable rig with spider, a couple stones (13" and 16"), oval grid with sliding rails. I couldn't be happier with this setup...this is for a large, not XL....don't think it matters though.
  • Quinn- which do you have? Woo or adjustable rig?

Adjustable rig with spider, a couple stones (13" and 16"), oval grid with sliding rails. I couldn't be happier with this setup...this is for a large, not XL....don't think it matters though.
    I have a large so that works for me. Why 2 stones (showing my ignorance here) 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I use one lower on either the rig or spider for indirect and then the other on top of the AR for pizza and bread...

You can't really see it, but the 13" stone is down in the spider here...

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/_IPA_/9deeca4d.jpg