Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami - getting ready to give it a go.

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Spring break is over and the grands have gone back to their parents and I am ready to get back to egging. I have a brisket in the freezer and I want to make it into pastrami. Yea, no more chicken strips or pizza!

Do I use the pickling spice recipe that is in the Charcuterie book or is there one better?

After smoking to 150 the book says to place the beef in a stockpot of water and bake in a 275 oven for 2 to 3 hours. Tweev put it in a pressure cooker, does it make any difference in texture or flavor or is there another way to do it?

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I used the recipe on the Morton Tender Quick box. 

For cooking, I first boil the corned beef on the stove and when done, I apply my rub and mustard and smoke it for a few hours on the BGE.  This may be cheating a little, but using a pressure cooker after smoking is similar.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Check out the recipe on "playing with fire and smoke" web site. I would cook it to 200 instead of 170. Follow the other directions and you love the result.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Thanks, you have a good plan. Mine is coming out of the freezer today and I am off to buy the seasonings.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !