Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED SOME HAND HOLDING RE PULLED PORK

Options
DOCED
DOCED Posts: 69
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Am planning on making pulled pork BBQ on Fri..Wanted to use a 10lb butt but could only get a 5.5 and 4.5 lber.As I recall, the cook time is dependent on the individual chunk of meat (5.5lb being the largest of the two) as opposed to the combined wt.?? Am cooking to internal temp of 195-200F but want to get a time frame for planning the start.Figure 1.5-2 hrs per lb.Questions,comments,snide remarks,any input appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Do not combine the weight...1.5 to 2 hrs times the 5.5 hunk of butt. @ 250 dome should reach the finished temp in approximately 10 hrs. I usually wrap in HD foil and towels in a cooler till I'm ready to serve.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I did a 9 lb this last weekend and it took 12 hours to finish at 200 F, my dome temp was a little high (285-295) but it turned out great.  I missed it on the up swing, kept closing the vents and the temp kept rising, had my bottom vent open 1/16 to 1/8" and top closed with just the wheel open most of the way and it held all night.  I would rather run a little hot then have to get up in the middle of the night because I chocked it back to much.
  • DOCED
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Will report out when deed is done.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Mine came out perfect last nite.  3.5 lb., 295 dome, 7 hrs., 195 Internal temp.  Wrapped in foil and a towel and placed in a cooler for a couple of hrs.
  • DOCED
    Options
    Looks great! Planning on mine looking the same but.....well,it ain't over til the fat lady sings. Have a friend who makes the best Eastern North Carolina vinegar based (sorry,redundant) BBQ sauce ever so need some way to deliver it to my mouth.