Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spachcoch Chicken (with pics)

centex99
centex99 Posts: 231
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I figured I'd do the chicken tonight... first time doing it... 6th overall cook... 3rd night in a row for the egg to be lit... am cooking it at 350 direct to 160 breast temp...  Seasoned it with weber garlic herb seasoning... will post pics once finished!

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I'm betting the pics will make us all hungry.  Waiting
    Eggo in N. MS
  • centex99
    Came out very tender... but not very browned or crispy skin at all... temp even got up to 400 at one time... though whenever I opened the dome, there were definately no flames... even leaving it open a bit... 
    I even flipped the chicken once it hit 120 for the next 15-20 minutes of the cook to 160... legs/thighs were at ~180, breast at 160 when pulled...
    Also cooked pan veggies and baked potato...

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Did you leave it open in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours to dry the skin? This will make the skin brown and crispy. It still looks good. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • centex99
    No, didn't plan far enough ahead to do that...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Lets hear about the veggies. They look good. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • centex99
    Veggies... fried up some bacon, took it out, added a touch more oil... cooked down some red onion, then added green/yellow squash and a bell pepper... seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and cayenne... sautteed until good and brown.  Added cooked bacon at end...
    I had originally planned to cook the veggies under the chicken, but I didn't get all of the right pieces to build a raised grid... bought 1/4" but not 1" washers...
    Also tried baking the potato in the egg while the chicken cooked... determined 1 hr wasn't long enough so microwaved it to finish...