Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Options
pab
pab Posts: 273
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the proper technique for measuring flour for pizza dough? Do you shift before measuring or just scoop it from the bag with a 1/4 c. measuring cup? Making dough is new teritorry for me.
Nerk Ahia LBGE

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I do all my dough ingredients by weight...it eliminates that issue. That being said....scoop from the bag.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Technically speaking you should weigh it, but if using a measuring cup, just scoop from the bag and don't pack it down.
  • pab
    Options
    Never gave a thought to weighing it, and thanks for the "scoop" :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    If you sift flour a cup of flour will be lighter than when it is unsifted.  I don't think that there is a benefit from sifting when making pizza dough so I would not bother.  The important thing with yeast dough is that it matures before using, i.e. don't expect to mix and use.  Normally you would want to let the dough sit till it doubles in volume (1+ hour), then divide and shape to a small ball.  At this point you could put it in a fridge and use it the next day or let it rest 20 to 30 minutes and then make your pizza shell.  The biggest mistake first time pizza makers is that they overload the pizza and then complain that it did not cook properly.  Try to limit your self to 3 items and buy good cheese and use less.  If you buy cheap cheese it generally has little flavour and by putting too much on the top will be floating with oil.

Gerhard
  • pab
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. We have always purchased an unbaked pizza for a local place and they turn out great. Thought we would try a true "homemade" pie.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Pab - Weighing flour takes all the guessing of did I scoop enough or sift enough out of the equation.  I have a pizza cookbook and it calls for all ingredients by weight - even water.  You will have an exact measurement then.
  • pab
    Options
    We have an old ice cream scale I can use. I see a new digital readout scale in the near future. :) Worked as far as getting a Thermapen over the old dial-style thermometer. My fear with the scoop measure was it would be too much because it was packed in the bag. Lots of good info on this forum. Thanks.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE