Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
demo
demo Posts: 163
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

First cook a pizza? Bold. Looks that way at least with the white interior of the egg. Looks good though. Did the crust brown for you?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • demo
    Options
    Second cook on my new egg.  The crust just slightly browned, any suggestions?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Pizza looked good dont get me wrong, but I noticed it wasnt too crispy. I guess it all depends on the person's taste. I like mine crispy so I make sure the pizza stone is in the egg while it is coming to temp and then let it sit for 30 minutes or so in a stabalized egg of around 600-650 degrees. Anywhere in there. I do platesetter legs up, grate, and then pizza stone on the grate if I am going for crispy. Or the way you have it set up works too. Just make sure stone is hot and elevated from the platesetter for airflow. Once you do a few of them you will have it down pat.  
  • demo
    Options
    I think I didn't get the stone hot enough.  Sure tasted good !!
    Thanks.
  • Chubbs
    Options

Another thing I have noticed is if I am doing a lot of pies, the crust obviously gets crispier and crispier with each pie. So, keep that in mind when you are trying to time it. I did 4 last time and the 4th was burned.

For one pie though, follow the method I said earlier and you will be good to go. Happy Egg'in.  

• demo
    Options
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I thought I read that after the first pie, you can wipe the stone with a wet cloth to keep it from getting too hot before you put on the second pie. Any thoughts on that?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I read that too. I could see where it would work, but I could also see it cracking the ceramic knowing my luck.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do plate setter feet up. Grate on the feet. And then spyder feet down on the grate with stone on the spider to get the pizza up into the higher heat in the dome. If you searchmy older posts there are pics but I am on my phone now. The higher in te dome the more finished the top gets from my experience.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Whats wrong with the inside of your egg? It's a weird color. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Trav - good point, what is that snow?