Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket this weekend...and a question :]

Options
BeerNBBQ
BeerNBBQ Posts: 31
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've done extensive research here and on other sites and blogs so I have a pretty good idea of what to buy and how to trim, My question is... Obviously, i'm going to need a drip pan to catch all the drippings. I really don't want to use a dry drip pan as fear of burning the drippings and/or leaving a taste on the meat. Has anyone concocted a liquid mixture to remedy this? I also wondered if it would help provide moisture to the meat. I've made tons of boston butts and ribs on the egg, but this will be my first brisket. Thanks guys for all your help and helpful information i've read and will continue to read.
Braselton, GA.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I just use a foil pan I can throw away when done. I usually just use water or apple juice. The meat will be moist enough if cooked until fork tender. Not sure the liquid in the drip pan really adds much. Stike can answer this later.

For that reason, I typically use water only.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options

I just use a foil pan I can throw away when done. I usually just use water or apple juice. The meat will be moist enough if cooked until fork tender. Not sure the liquid in the drip pan really adds much. Stike can answer this later.

For that reason, I typically use water only.

Yea i've used a apple cider vinegar / olive oil mixture for BB Ribs, whenever i've used water it seems evaporates too quickly. I dont know if the ribs were more moist or not, I know the "atmosphere" of the dome certainly was. I was using an auber control and there was definite moisture around the fan insert. I dont know if thats a by product of using temp controllers or if it was the drip pan.
    Braselton, GA.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    those drippings don't really smoke and taint the meat.  sure, they're black and all, but it is a lot like the bark, which is also black.  all the organic carbon and sugar slowly oxidizes.

never noticed any problem from it.  it doesn't openly burn and smoke as though it is truly burning.  bark doesn't burn, but it also turns black.  no (or low) oxygen environment, plus a decent amount of heat.  we're making charcoal, believe it or not.

i also use a homemade foil pan, and toss it when cool. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys, thats the answer I wanted ;]
    Braselton, GA.
  • floatingbuzzard
    Options
    Don't know how appropriate this is but my egg likes to drink beer.  I like the smell, the taste, and don't like to drink alone.  One for him, one for me.  He likes Abita Turbo Dog, and so does my food.  I sometimes water his down some so he doesn't get hammered and get the temp to high.
    "I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    Don't know how appropriate this is but my egg likes to drink beer.  I like the smell, the taste, and don't like to drink alone.  One for him, one for me.  He likes Abita Turbo Dog, and so does my food.  I sometimes water his down some so he doesn't get hammered and get the temp to high.
    haha clever :]
    Braselton, GA.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Beer in the pan is a +1

I use the cheapest I can get though.  Usually in the can in the back of the fridge for the occasional drunken chicken.  Those rough cheap beer aromatics really add more than the expensive beers.  One can and about the same amount of water.

Top it off with a scoop of minced garlic, some chili powder, and maybe a dash of whatever rub I used.

Whole neighborhood smells awesome.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• floatingbuzzard
    Options
    I will try the cheaper stuff. Its not like he will get mouthy and complain. I like the seasoning in it. I'll give it a try.
    "I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    There's no such thing as cheap beer. It's free,drinkable, affordable, expensive!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.