Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome vs. Grate temperature question

Options
tgkleman
tgkleman Posts: 216
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been following this forum for several months and have read that the dome temperature is typically hotter than the grill temperature during a cook.  I have monitored the grill temperature vs. the dome temperature on my last two cooks (one low and slow indirect and one direct at 350F) and have found that my dome temperature seems to be lower than my grill temperature by about 50 to 60 degrees.

I have calibrated both my BGE thermometer and my thermocouple and they are with in a few degrees of the boiling water standard.

Has anybody come across this?  My gasket is in need of repair, but could this actually cause that much of a temperature difference?
Maybe I have the daisy wheel open too much?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    My experience is that the dome is initially hotter than the grate temp (by around20-40*F+) when cooking indirect.  When cooking direct, the grate is hotter due to the direct heating from the lump.  Hopefully others will share thier experiences.  I can't imagine the gasket or daisy wheel having much of an effect but who knows?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2012
    Options
    When you see a number for  a cook they are talking dome temp.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

I have consistantly found that on my slow cooks, my grate temp is either the same or higher than the dome temp.

George