Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first spatch...pretty good!

frankc623
frankc623 Posts: 168
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have had my L-BGE since Christmas and I finally made my first Spatchcock chicken...it turned out really good. Only problem I had was keeping the temp up so some of the skin wasn't as crisp as it should have been. Here it is...

Cooked it indirect around 375 for about an hour and a half. 
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I just did my first Spatch as well this past Sunday night.  Cooked it at 350 direct for about an hour and then ramped up the temp to 400 because it wasnt getting done quick enough.  Total time was about an hour and 15 minutes.  Seems to be keeper for my family... everybody enjoyed it.
  • frankc623
    tgkleman - Next time I think I will cook it direct. Either way my wife and I really liked it and it was pretty easy to do!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I cook chicken and turkey spatchcocked at 400 direct and raised. It just works well for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Raised direct is the way to go. Also, let it sit out (dry) in the fridge for 24 hours before the cook. It will help the skin crisp.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • frankc623
    Thanks for the info Hi54putty, I will definitely give it a try. 
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD