Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg spoiled ?

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
We had an appointment downtown and went to what we had thought of as an upscale burger joint.  We once loved the joint.   Meat was greasy, buns not toasted, onions not grilled and it all sat like a lump in my gut.  We're spoiled.  No one has better burgers or better barbeque than what we do at home.  Has anyone else experienced this?
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bob I like to go out for fried chicken. Can't fry chicken on my Egg. I can do very good chicken, just not fried.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GreenhawK
    Options
    Good BBQ is pretty easy to find in North Alabama, but it's always hard to find anything as good as mine.  Some friends of mine that I compete with opened a BBQ joint about 4 months ago though, so it's easy to get some good stuff now.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    We still go out for dim sum, sushi and Ethiopian. The wife fries chicken like nobody's business.  But the standard fare from roast of any sort to burgers is out of our mix unless it's a social event and then we choak it down and complain in the car on the way home.  What's the oil temp for fried chicken?  Has anyone done it on the BGE?
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    When you fry chicken the oil temperature should be at least 350ºF, colder you get an oily crust if it is over 400ºF most oils start to smoke.  The secret is not to overload the oil as that will lower the temperature too much.

Gerhard
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Growing up - back in my farm days - we used to cook alot of catfish.   Nothing sophisticated, wood fire with a cast iron wash pot and a buck of hog lard.

The way you knew the lard was the right temp - throw a wooden kitchen match in - if it caught on fire when it hit the grease - was time to cook.

thinking now, not sure of the relavence to this thread, but already typed it and -- its a good story - so - posting it.

Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bob just think about a large vat of oil and an open fire 8-X . Yes people do it a lot with small amouts of oil in a wok and a few have done it with large amounts but I would think only when the house just will not sell any other way except to the ins co.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

Bob  - I have had the same experience.  I have had a few pulled pork sandwhiches made by restaurants and other people and they just don't stack up.  I am fortunate that one of the restaurants we frequent cooks over a wood fired grill so the food is not bad.  Not as good as mine in many cases but good enough.  I have started doing what Mickey advises and ordering things I don't cook.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I to am spoiled.

I made chicken breasts last weekend marinated in raspberry balsamic. A friend at work who can't swallow to much due to cancer was able to eat the whole piece. She said I'll try it only if to at least taste it. Next morning she told me how moist it was and able to eat the entire half. It made my day also.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    We're spoiled.  No one has better burgers or better barbeque than what we do at home.  Has anyone else experienced this?
    Agree -- we are totally spoiled, and I love it! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    Yes the egg has wrecked a lot of spots for my family.I cant and wont order red meat out.Chicken is hard because I find they over cook it.I hate to waste money eating out when it sucks.I am about to try fish on the egg and i bet with a little practise mine will be better than theres.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Not to jack the thread but you can do a pretty good faux fried chicken on the egg

Dipped it in a buttermilk and egg mix and rolled in whirred Kellog's corn flakes and sprayed with olive oil. Put 11 different herbs and spices in the corn flakes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm signed up, that looks great.
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    Darn you Little Steven, I am 1k mile from my egg and you have to post those pics......Looks great and I know what chicken I will do next when I get home. Thnx for the pics.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Little Steven, that looks awesome. My breading never looks that good. I have troudble getting it to stick to the chicken. I use boneless skinless chicken breast, not sure if thats the problem.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Those are whole bone in skin on breasts. Soaked in buttermilk overnight and the breading stayed on nicely

Steve 

Caledon, ON