Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Nomex Gasket

Options
tjp1060
tjp1060 Posts: 55
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I wanted a small BGE that I can take back and forth to the lake every weekend since my large one is way to heavy to move around like that. One of my co-workers was selling her father's small egg since he no longer used it. I jumped at the opportunity.

It is an older model that has the non-spring assisted hinge and needed alot of TLC to get it back into shape. I stopped at the Mothership yesterday and bought a new Nomex gasket, thermometer, daisy-wheel cap, and a ceramic cap.

My question is this...How long should I wait before firing up the egg after replacing the gasket? The instructions say to wait at least 24 hours but I think I have read somewhere in this forum that you should wait longer.

Any opinions?

Comments

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I can only speak of my own experience. I replaced my original felt gasket with a nomex, waited 22 hrs. And used it. No problem and it has been 3 months. Do not know of any benefits for waiting longer.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • I waited 24 hours and haven't had any problems. The nomex is great stuff.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I love my nomex gasket.  I did the suggested 3 low temp cooks before I cranked it up.  Works wonders.  Having said that, it's been a year.  I've done lots of T-Rex cook as well as nuclear-temp pizza cooks since then, and it's still holding up fairly well. The gasket is starting to come loose in the back of the egg, but my spring band was problematic in the back of it since I bought it. 
  • tjp1060
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will start with a few low temp cooks just to be sure it has time to cure properly.