Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Problems

Options
SouthernOaksBBQ
SouthernOaksBBQ Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a Thermapen through the open box sale previously discussed on the forum. I am getting temp readings all over the place when checking meats. Tonight I did 1" filets and when I inserted the probe near the end of my normal cook time, it read 119* almost instantly and then dropped continuously and leveled out at 98*. I changed the probe to a different location thinking I must have it fat, although unlikely because they were very lean filets, and got the same readings. Similar size steaks during the same cook all gave vastly different readings. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else who purchased the "open box" sale having problems? Sorry for the long post but I am puzzled and think I may have a defective Thermapen.

Comments

• ribmaster
    Options
    with thin meats you will get differing tips depending on how deep. test on something more stable. ice bath is a good test, so is boiling water.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Do the ice-bol est.212 degrees on the boil test
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I've had a Thermapen problem from time to time.  I will open the probe, and it will immediately and rapidly start rising in temp, up to 500 degrees +, then stop at HI.  Chainging the battery doesn't help.  Then, a couple of days later, I try it and it works fine.

I just bought a second one for backup.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have had this same problem with my "open box" Thermapen. Very inconsistent readings even when checking the same place on the meat within a few seconds. I had the same thought...maybe a defective unit (again). 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    I have two Thermapen's bought new and have zero problems with them.  My IR from Thermoworks works quite well too.