Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fruita Wood Chunks

Options
TaylorCR
TaylorCR Posts: 34
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone had any experience with "Fruita Wood Chunks" ? 

I was on some BBQ website, and they had them on their links & endorsements section. 

Anyways, I checked out their website & was moderately impressed - at least from a business & appearance POV.  They have quite the variety of woods ie (peach, apple, cherry, grape, apricot, plum, maple, pear & almond, etc.)  Just wanted to get some 1st hand feedback from some of yall. Has anyone used this company before ? Also has anyone had any expierence with some of the different wood types ? Ive heard of using peach, cherry & apple... but havent heard a lot about some of the other types.

I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I just received and order from them.  Nice guy and very helpful.  I wanted to get all the types of woods that I had never used before, so I called to make sure my order was right.  He fiddled things so that my order cost about $15 less than I had planned.  And then he spent a lot of time talking about using wood chunks.  So, I'm very happy,and would recommend them highly.
    The Naked Whiz
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Linky!

Whiz - how was the shipping cost?
    (EDIT - lol just saw free shipping on their banner nvrmnd)

I liked the write up on soaking, which I stopped doing after getting the BGE...

DO I NEED TO SOAK THE WOOD IN WATER PRIOR TO USING THEM?

NO!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

DO NOT !!!! soak our wood in water. There is enough moisture in our wood to allow for extended smoking period. Soaking in water will only create a sooty smoke making your meats bitter and less desirable to the judges.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• TaylorCR
    Options
    Whiz - let us know how the different woods pan out... I think ill be getting the 15lb sampler (5 lbs of 3 woods). 
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Just ordered a 15lb sampler yesterday.  Very helpful and easy to deal with on the phone.  Free shipping and no tax which is great. 
    George