Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant Under Egg

unit26
unit26 Posts: 53
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys, I am leaving for a pheasant hunt in Kansas in the morning.   I know that someone has a pheasant recipe for the BGE.   I am guessing that a brine job will be in order, but not for certain.   I would appreciate any and all input on the pheasant matter.

Comments

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Mmmm...spatchcocked pheasant perhaps? No experience there, but am anxious to see where this goes! Good Luck and happy hunting!
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    My favorite is to breast the bird and cut the breast meat from the bone.  Cut the breast in 1 inch pieces.  I then sprinkle a little rub on a piece of pheasant, add a slice of jalapeno and wrap with peppered bacon.  Cook indirect over a hot fire for about two minutes turning once or until the bacon is cooked.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

There is a recipe for pheasant Neuburg floating around somewhere. I've had it and it's pretty good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I haven't cooked much Pheasant.  However, I am a big duck hunter.  We cut the breast up and soak in Moore's marinade for about 20 min.  Wrapped with bacon and a pickled jalepeno.  Grill to rare. That is the best way to cook duck.

I hope you have a safe and succesful hunt.  I've always wanted to go to Kansas and shoot pheasant. 

TarHeelBBQ

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Pheasant Kabobs:

Chunk up the pheasant breast. Slice up an onion. Open a jar of peperoncini peppers. Cut up some bacon (bacon halves). Wrap peperoncini with chunk of pheasant, and wrap with half slice of bacon. Skewer, separating with slice of onion.

Smoke at 225 with apple for about a half hour, and then turn up the heat to about 300 until done (internal temp around 180).

I also like to spatchcock pheasant. Use favorite rub and apple chunks. 325 until bird is 180. The bird is now perfect for your favorite smoked pheasant soup.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Thanks for all the input!  I will post my choice of recipes and results when I return.  I hope I am not putting the cart before the horse, first I have to hit those fast flying critters.