Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp. vs. Grate temp.

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've seen many posts about dome temp. being 20 to 25 degrees hotter than the grid temp.. I'm assuming this is with some kind of indirect set up. If cooking direct would the opposite be true? Dome @ 325, grid @ 350 or so?
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The grill temp will eventually equal the dome temp during longer indirect cooks.

You are right about the reverse being true. However, I have measured as much as 60 F higher at the center of a raised grill than the dome during a direct cook.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

I'll be trying some BB's direct today. Will cook at the felt line direct @ 300 dome. We've done BB's on a gas Weber for the last 12 years or so @325, they are ready to pull off in 1 hour and everyone loves them. We only cook them this way when we didn't have time to do a low & slow. I'll try and post pics and details when they're done.

Thanks for the help.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Coals burn at about 2000F actually.  I've measured 1500F at the grid level (grid sitting on the fire ring) with a rip roaring fire going.
    The Naked Whiz
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Thats higher than my thermoter goes -- will totally accept what you are saying.   ( not gonna double check ).

lol

Cookin in Texas