Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choosing chicken?

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

There was some mention of this on another thread but perhaps someone could provide more detail.

How do I choose a good chicken?  Organic, free range, roasters, fryers and on and on.  For the amount of trouble that goes into the bird it's not, for me, worth saving a couple bucks on a "sale" chicken if it's not good quality.

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I find the biggest difference in air chilled vs wet chilled

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    Options
    I did a "free range" turkey over the holidays. The legs were like leather. The wings not much better. The bird as a whole was very dry compared to the two Publix brand birds I did.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yeah, I did too. Did it inverted on a BGE stand and it was tough as nails. Usually I get moist and tender poultry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I generally stick with roasters around 7 pounds.  Lately I've been using Perdue brand but have used others - generally buy chicken on sale.  Haven't seen a whole lot of difference between birds on sale and  regular priced ones.

I always cook spatchcock style and have tried both direct at around 275 grid temp or indirect at around 350 grid temp but haven't decided which way I like best.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA