Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing First Rib Cook on Lg BGE

tnbarbq
tnbarbq Posts: 248
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I will be smoking 3 racks of spares tomorrow on my lg BGE for the first time.  Ribs will be trimmed and the excess meet will also be on the cooker.  I use it in beans or just for snacking to wet appitites.  I have a rib rack but have not used one too often.  I plan on cooking at about 250 and will most likely do a 3-1-1 or something close to it.  Should I plan on a longer cook using a rack?  I plan on using just a rub and no sauce.  Any/all suggestions welcome.
Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Spares are usually more like 3-2-1.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I would plan for 6 hours or so too.  You can always wrap them and put them in a cooler if you need to.  I like them better not wrapping them while they are cooking though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I say use the toothpick test, if you can stick a toothpick in the rib meat easily they are pull apart tender - should be 5+ hours or somewhere.  Some other swear by the meat bend test and either works well. Me personally, I just put them on a rib rack and let them go low and slow (250 or so) for 5 hours - not a fan of wrapping - always see pork juice in the foil and would rather it be in the pork, just my opinion.  This is actually for babybacks, spares should be a bit longer 6hrs or so (as Greenhawk stated), but same method.