Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged strip steaks

burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Whole foods is promoting 28 - 30 day dry aged steaks for the holidays. I've read a lost of egghead posts about dry aged steaks but have never cooked them.  I am buying 10 of them tomorrow about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick to be served Chrismas eve,  We want them medium rare.  Assuming a 10 minute rest while salad is served, approx what temp should I pull them?

Comments

• Hot tub them and sear to 125 . They will carry over 5 to 10 degrees to put you in the MR range

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• agree with 125, you can always throw them back on if someone likes it a little warmer. remember, they will cook faster than normal too... i normally sear 2 mins a side, close the vents and 2 mins a side, with the dry age 90 seconds was almost too much but i also had the big green reactor near meltdown.

Merry Christmas and good luck with your steaks. 

Had a friend get some from WF for New Years, they would have been great if they had not marinated them for 24 hours. Well done with the consistency of cotton candy... not a happy camper especially considering the price i was asked to pay for my portion. 
  • Cook to temp like these guys are telling you.  Pull at 125.  Take note of the fact that dry age cooks quicker than greener meat.  Above all make sure you got a decent thermometer.  You don't have to use a thermapen, but certainly not one where it takes 30 seconds to get a temp reading.  Carryover heat from the steaks while resting shold raise the temp another 10 degrees.  If that is too rare for some in your party, throw em back on, but be sure to refuse to cook dry age steaks above Medium.  MW to WD steaks.....SMH in shame.....some people just don't know.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Had a friend get some from WF for New Years, they would have been great if they had not marinated them for 24 hours. Well done with the consistency of cotton candy... not a happy camper especially considering the price i was asked to pay for my portion. 

I don't do steak with friends and family because of this very reason (except wife and kids they like good steak), I have friends and family that will NOT eat a Med-Rare steak, they get frozen burgers!

• upnsmoke, I did not read the last part of your post.  Man, I am not going to lie, in reading your note I get the sense that you were invited by your friend to eat crappy steaks and then he dropped the bomb on you  about paying for them.  That is messed up.

• the bomb was how much they paid for them at whole food, i had agreed to pay my share (well over $100 for 2 of us).

TIP on what not to do, buy VERY expensive dry aged filets, marinate them for 24 hours (worried they would not be tender), cook them to WD in the oven. it was literally the consistency of cotton candy.

i will say i got my moneys worth out of telling the story 8)
  • you and me both brotha
  • Who bakes $200+ worth of steak?  Couldn't find a candle or propane torch to wave under em?
  • Oven roasting filets, wow....I am speechless....I hope this was a good friend and that you can show them the error in their ways......  BTW, I love whole foods, but their dry aged stuff is somewhat overpriced as it is generally not prime grade (at least from the time that I have inquired about them).