Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 1st pork butt

Gaprofitt
Gaprofitt Posts: 9
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hey All,

Did my 1st pork butt today, took about 9 hours.  I have some questions, i'll start with the good and get to the bad.

I cooked it at 250 degrees with the plate setter, used some hickory chunks of wood mixed in the charcoal. I used some
mccormicks pork rub on top of mustard.

The meat was juicy, done right and fall off the bone tender. I cooked it to 195 degrees.  It smelled outstanding
but I thought it was sort of bland without the BBQ sauce, with the sauce on top it was delicious, I guess
I expected more taste just from the meat, it tasted more like a crock pot roast.

Could the culprit be the low end rub?  Also I was wondering if you can just completely cut off the fat cap? I left
it on but trimmed it.  I don't want to sound negative, it was delicious but I would think it would be tasty
and full of flavor without the bbq sauce.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Gregg,

I use Byron's Butt Rub, no mustard and make sure that I put the rub on at least 8 hours before I am going to cook. I also add the wood chips right before I put the platesetter on the EGG so that it get the most smoke right when I put the Butt on the EGG. The smoke is only absorbed during the first part of the smoke.

Some people also inject their BUTTS for added moisture and flavor (I have not done this with Pork). Here is a photo of the Butt I did today:

Here it is pulled...

The flavor is great, not over powering but delicious. A nice smoky flavor through out. I cooked mine to 200, I would also recommend calibrating your dome thermometer mine was really off. Keep on EGGing.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    I did my first today. It was a 10# bone-in shoulder, took about 17 hours at 250 dome temp. I pulled it at an internal temp of 196. The flavor was amazing. I used John Henry's all purpose rub and pecan chunks. I started way too late. I started at 5 this morning and it went into the ice chest at 10pm. Next time, I will start it the night before.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    How do you get "a nice smoky flavor throughout"?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    What is the best way to reheat the pork?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • I reheat my pork by putting it in some foil and splashing some apple juice over it. I cook it at 350 in the oven and check it periodically till it is done. Normally in about 10-15 minute intervals. It comes out moist and people enjoy it. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    smoke flavor throughout comes from mixing the PP together.  smoke is only on the outside, so you gotta mingle it together if you want it all to taste smokey.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cowman
    cowman Posts: 13
    The quality of thew coals and the wood you use is as important as the rub.  I get everything smoking and then put the plate setter in.  I start it out at about 200 to lwt the smoke get into the meat before it start cooking and crusting.
  • cowman
    cowman Posts: 13
    I would suggest going with chunks of wood and not chips.  The chips disappear too quick.
  • I smoke mine on the rack (with plate setter) for the first four hours, then put it in one of those disposable aluminum pans for the rest of the smoke.  When it is done I take the butt out and reserve the juice/fat in the fridge. When I unwrap the butt (always wrap in a heavy blanket, put in a cooler for at least two hours), I defat the juice, heat it up and distribute in the pulled pork.  Always juicy, tender and the flavor of the rub goes back into the meat!  Do mine until it reaches 200-205 internal temperature and the bone just pulls out, hardly have to pull the meat, just falls apart!