Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrate Your Dome Thermometer

DMurf
DMurf Posts: 481
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have had my EGG for almost two years and have never calibrated the dome thermometer. Well today I noticed that during my brisket cook my dome was rock solid on 200 for over eight hours, that's not right. Got a pot of boiling water going verified with my Thermapen 212 and found that the dome thermometer was off by 80 degrees. 

I wondered why my cooks always seemed to be turbo cooks. Don't make my same mistake.
David
BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'm preparing to calibrate my thermometers, based on the fact that one quit working last weekend.  I had no idea they could be off by that much!  
    But, there's no reason you couldn't hold 200F for eight hours.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    After you recognize the difference, do you adjust the actual thermometer or just remember and adjust it mentally?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • DMurf
    You can turn the nut on the back of the thermometer to adjust it so that you do not have to do the calculation.

Brisket came off as one of the best I have done and now the butt is on for tomorrow.
    David
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Just calibrated mine...dead on 212'.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • DMurf
    edited December 2011
    After calibrating I cooked up a little Pork Butt...

After 20 hours!

It pulled really well, the best I have done so far...
    David
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394

Looks good, Dmurf!

Hmmmnnn....now you have me wondering.  I have never calibrated mine but most of my cooks have seemed to be dead on.  I wonder how far mine could be off?  :-/