Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker fan for BGE XL (5DFM or 10CFM)

DaGreekGeek
DaGreekGeek Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in Root
I purchased my BGE XL back in July of this year and do well maintaining high temps (above 400 degrees), but I've had mixed results with low temps (it seems I have to adjust my intake/outtake differently each time i.e. 1/4in one time 1/2in the next).  In a nutshell I'm considering getting a temp control unit for long slow cooks and have settled on the Stoker mainly because I'm a programer and the appeal is very high for writing custom software.

Rock's recommends a 10CFM fan for the XL but I've read some people have done just fine with the 5CFM and the original 4CFM fan for low temp cooking.  At the same time the same people have voiced concern about higher temp cooking (300-450).  While low temp is the main reason I'm considering it, the idea of being able to maintain steady temps up to 400+ degrees over long periods is appealing and expands it's usefulness (while at the same time further justifying it's purchase).

What sort of temps could I get up to efficiently with the 5CF fan?  Again I'm more set on low temp, but knowing this helps me decide if it's worth the extra 70 dollars (the current diff between the 2 packages).

BTW some people even recommend buying the 5 CFM fan and them upgrading it down the road with an additional 5CFM fan wired in parallel (a few people have claimed to do this without issue).

Any input on either low temp/high temp cooking with the stoker and fans is appreciated.  Also any advice on maintaining temps on the XL is also appreciated (i.e. I'm starting to think temp control on the XL is a bit more difficult at low temps than for the Large).