Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Ribs

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Wow! First time I've been on the Forum since the 'New Look'. Gonna take me a while to figure it all out. Anyway...

Got three slabs of of ribs going now. Doing them "Car Wash Mike" style. On at 2:30, hoping to be done ~ 6:30-7:30. Uing Elder Ward's Butt Rub. Tried lighting the Egg differently today, went w/ the Oil and Napkin technique. Didn't catch the Wicked Good lump well so I threw a couple of handfuls of apple chips all over and hit 'em w/ MAPP gas for about 30 seconds. They caught quickly and got the lump going. I guess it's a lot like using some kindling wood. I had a bag of chips left over when I couldn't find any apple chunks, so I don't feel like I wasted them since I prefer chunks. Dome right at 200° and I will start misting them w/ the apple cider vinegar/apple cider mixture after an hour. For sauce I have a pot of Elder Ward's Western North Carolina (Piedmont) Style Sauce (Red Sauce) simmering on the stove. Love that stuff. While the Egg does its thing, I will probably make up a pot of marinara sauce from the Roma tomatoes I have growing (and are now starting to take over my refrigerator) and freeze it for future use. Pics to follow. Too big of a hurry to get them on to shoot the raws.

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    I was raised on NC BBQ and love both eastern and western style sauces, but have never tried either on ribs- just pulled pork. I would imagin wester would be pretty good on ribs. Where the pics? I was looking forward to seeing the finished results.

~Spoon
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon