Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auto-Start....

Options
Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Did 3 racks of baby backs yesterday using the 3-1-1 method and as usual,  they came out great.  Kept 1 rack and gave the other 2 to our Priests at church for them to enjoy on Labor day.  Shut down the egg as usual,  close the vents and put on the ceramic top.  Went out this morning and the Egg was still warm (usually put the cover on).  Went out this evening to start it up for tonight cook and the thermo was reading about 180.  The lump was still burning.  Just opened the vents,  poured in a little lump and off she went.

I finally toasted my gasket a couple weeks ago and apparently enough air is getting through the gap to keep the coals burning.  Bummer,  I was planning on going gasketless,  but that is not viable.  I want to get the Rutland Gasket.  Anyone know where to pick those up?

Thanks

Comments

• Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options

I would try eBay.

Good Luck

b

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    I got my Rutland at my local Ace Hardware store. You can check a fireplace dealer or just try google.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Austex_Egger, you would do well to contact Ron Pratt who posts on the original forum as RRP.  He will set you up with the correct gasket and the correct adhesive.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Austex_Egger
    Options
    Should have tried to contact Ron,  will do if/when there is a next time.  Found it on Amazon and bought it from some outfit called Denny and Kathys hardware.  Although it said "In Stock",  it took them 4 days to ship the thing.  Maybe I'm to used to immediate type shipping,  but that is unacceptable.  Will be patient but was hoping to install it this weekend.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    There's enough folks on this forum who go gasketless, and don't have that problem, that you could loosen the top band, let the lid settle fully onto the bottom half of the Egg, and re-tighten the band.  Sounds like there's a pretty big mismatch on your Egg presently... 
    Oh, make sure to secure the band/spring mechanism, per the owner's manual, first!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• texegghead
    Options
    Ever since I went gasketless, I have been having the same issue with my egg not cooling down as quickly as before.  I did what Botch mentioned above and closed the gap but the results have not changed.  I also noticed that I pretty much have to close my bottom vent to get my temp down to 225 for a low and slow.  After inspecting my bottom vent I noticed that there isn't a tight seal when it's closed all the way.  I'm wondering if this is the cause.  Austex, how does your bottom vent look when it's closed all the way?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    As a new egghead, I don't understand why anyone wants to go gasketless. I think I read somewhere that they are not expensive!  Just wondering ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Austex_Egger
    Options
    texegghead.  My bottom vent looks completely closed.  I do have a noticeable gap at the gasket area though. I am waiting patiently for the Rutland to show up.  Not only does that vendor take forever to ship,  they also choose the slowest possible FedEx once it does ship (10 days from St Cloud MN to Austin TX according to the tracking).  Could have walked it quicker.  I have not tried closing the gap.

If the Rutland gets burnt quickly I'll probably try adjusting it and going gasketless, But at ~$11 for the replacement and a couple hours work there is not much need unless it happens every couple of months.  I hoping the good things I've read about the Rutland gaskets are true.
  • texegghead
    Options
    When I burned my gasket off I noticed a gap as well. All I did was loosen up the top band and presto, the lid dropped and closed the gap. There's still a very small gap but I don't think it's anything to worry about.