Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One dimensional????

ribmaster
ribmaster Posts: 209
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I was talking to a guy about grills and he said the egg was "one dimensional"?

What do you think he was meaning? He said he sold his egg.

also saw a kamodo egg copy for 499 bucks.

Why is the BGE twice as good as it?

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

I'm not sure what he was doing with his egg, but as a relative newbie (3 months), my BGE is anything but "1D".  Killer steak, pizza, smoked pork shoulder, a load of brats (I am in Sheboygan, WI after all), burgers, roasted tomatos and garlic for tomato sauce, grilled sweat potatos.....I figure my BGE is up to about "7D".

Now, Menards has 2 kamodo style grills a steel model and a ceramic model, I think both are in the $200-300 range, however both are build for sucks! 

• 1D Grilling
    2D Baking
    3D Smoking
    4D Woking

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Only speculating but the Egg just wasn't right for him. As for the 499 Kamodo, no clue. They are normally really expensive. What size it.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Reminds me of when Money magazine did a review of the Egg and said it wasn't any good for steaks. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Reminds me of when Money magazine did a review of the Egg and said it wasn't any good for steaks. 

Missed that one. Guess they only put it in the "smoker mode".
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    edited September 2011
    Also just speculating, but perhaps the "one dimensional" comment was due to the relatively smaller size of the Egg and the lack of heat zones.  I would never go back to my old Weber, but I sometimes miss being able to grill a steak over the hot part and one or more sides over the cooler part.
  • I've seen the knock-offs at Sams and Lowes for around $499.  They actually LOOK pretty good. I opened the one at Sams and the plate setter was broken.  I did not give either a thorough inspection,  but the seemed to be "cheaper" quality.  No idea what kind of warranty they came with.
  • I would think you could use the 1/2 pizza stone to do something to create heat zones.  And I suppose you could also put a grate over the top of the firebox and put your charcoal on it (like the charcoal grate in a kettle) to create heat zones. I can see where creating heat zones with multiple cookers might be an expensive solution. :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    CrazyHarry,

I can have heat zones with my XL  It is all in the placement of the coals - and currently, I do not have a PS. I do low-slow/indirect by pushing all the coals to the back of the firebox and the meat on the front half.  Works great. I have done butt, brisket, ribs this way all have turned out GREAT!!  (and most that have sampled it agree it is better than two of the "chains" in the area.)
  • Thanks all. I was curious but did not have the time to chat at the time.

I guess without additional equipment it would not have heat zones.

What is the big green egg warranty?

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Ribmaster, well it appears with the XL, you have the space to make a fire to one side like you can in a kettle.

The BGE warrantee is listed on the BGE website, www.biggreenegg.com.
    The Naked Whiz
  • QUOTE-

I can have heat zones with my XL  It is all in the placement of the coals - and currently, I do not have a PS. I do low-slow/indirect by pushing all the coals to the back of the firebox and the meat on the front half.  Works great. I have done butt, brisket, ribs this way all have turned out GREAT!!  (and most that have sampled it agree it is better than two of the "chains" in the area.)

So you do not own a platesetter?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    correct, I have not yet invested in the platesetter. I am looking at it though...  I have had my egg now for 3 years (doesn't seem that long)  After my last move, I decided to throw away the old, rusting Sunbeam gas grill I had where I had been replacing the burners almost every year.  I decided I was only going to buy one more grill and so, when I went looking for a new grill, decided on the BGE.
  • Any tool is as versatile as you attempt to make it.  I believe it is all up to the user and how imaginative the user is with the tool.  The BGE is a tool with a lot of versatility in my view.
  • Smitty, don't you think a half moon pizza stone or something like that would be better at creating heat zones on the grid? 
    The Naked Whiz
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Any tool is as versatile as you attempt to make it.  I believe it is all up to the user and how imaginative the user is with the tool.  The BGE is a tool with a lot of versatility in my view.
    +1
    context is important :)
  • My inlaws have an XL with a raised 1/2 grill (BGE add on) that has a metal drip pan under it. I use it quite a bit to create a indirect heat area while grilling.